Friday, November 27, 2009

Holiday See-Saw

It's the day after... Yesterday was a FULL day, literally and figuratively. It was like many Thanksgivings of the past, and probably like most everyone else's to some degree. Lots of food, lots of laughter, some reminiscing, and then more food. By the time Pam and I retired last night, we had to take a little time just to process all that we had done throughout the day. Stories told, and whispers overheard. It's funny how there can even be a hint of gossip within a family!!! Shocking.

One of the funniest times, and this happens every time we are together, is when my mom's side of the family gets together. We have this unique ability to manage about 5 conversations simultaneously. It's not that we are rude, but everybody talks at the same time, and somehow, knows what everybody else says. We know it is getting good when my mom and aunt (sisters) start stretching their necks, raising their eyebrows and pitch, followed by exponential raises in volume. It's quite the site to behold. Even after nearly 16 years of marriage, Pam can get a little taken aback by it all. Anyway, everybody has crazy family get-togethers at Thanksgiving, so none of this is really news.

However, there was one pause during my day that is still haunting me a little...
The trucks have arrived to start site work on a new school on what used to be my maternal grandparents farm. Yesterday was the first time that I had walked through the house since my grandmother moved out over a year ago.

The old farm house has stood on that hill for somewhere around 75 years. The haybarns, the "little barn," the ponds... all of these structures have prominent places in my memory. However, walking through the empty house was much more difficult than I expected. The memories of laughter, tears, and many, many meals were thick in the stale air. Any empty house can be a sad place, but knowing that this family house will soon be torn down, made it especially so. I say sad, but it was also an incredible time of reflection... and a great time of thankfulness. I'm so thankful for the faithfulness that was modeled by my grandparents... and still modeled by my grandmother. I think it was timely for me to make that walk. It was important for me to be reminded of all the people who have influenced me... and who continue to influence me.

Last night, at the end of a "full" day of getting full on great food, I was also full of memories, full of appreciation, and full of thankfulness. That house will be torn down, and the farm will change dramatically in the next few months. But the cornerstones of life that were carved into my foundation while growing up there will remain. And I am thankful.

No comments: