Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Community and Christ

I was doing some reading today, and came across this paragraph from Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Life Together." It may not resonate with some of you, but check it out... and I'd love to hear some comments.

Because Christ stands between me and others, I dare not desire direct fellowship with them. As only Christ can speak to me in such a way that I may be saved, so others, too, can be saved only by Christ himself. This means that I must release the other person from every attempt of mine to regulate, coerce, and dominate him with my love. The other person needs to retain his independence of me; to be love for what he is, as one for whom Christ became man, died, and rose again, for whom Christ bought forgiveness of sins and eternal life. Because Christ has long since acted decisively for my brother, before I could begin to act, I must leave him his freedom to be Christ's; I must meet him only as the person that he already is in Christ's eyes. This is the meaning of the proposition that we can meet others only through the mediation of Christ.

Gonna have to continue to think through this a little more. I think I get it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, let's jump right in the deep end of the pool with our clothes on.

"This means that I must release the other person from every attempt of mine to regulate, coerce, and dominate him with my love." I agree we should not be doing this. This is an area I struggle with about our children. Do they believe because they love their parents or because they believe? I believe Billy Graham said that a lot of people have just enough religion to be immune from it. Sort of like the flu shot. Do we do that with our children?

REB